Minergy’s vitrification (melting) technologies recycle sludge, biosolids and contaminated soils into a useful, environmentally friendly product — glass aggregate — that cost-effectively and consistently outperforms quarried aggregates. Proven commercial applications include:
- Hot mix asphalt
- Utility trench fill
- Pozzolan (cement) substitute
- Construction backfill
- Roadbed construction
- Blasting media
- Roofing shingle granules
- Ceramic floor tiles
This unique mineral recovery process melts the mineral content of sludge using a patented process, which creates an inert, environmentally friendly glass product that can be put to beneficial use.
- High process temperatures destroy organic contaminants in the sludge.
- Rapid quenching of molten glass in water physically sequesters heavy metals within the glass matrix, resulting in low leaching potential.
- Glass aggregate handles and stores similar to conventional quarried aggregates.
Minergy’s glass aggregate’s unique composition succeeds in many commercial applications.
- Grading and high angularity helps build voids in mineral aggregate, producing high-quality, economical hot mix asphalt.
- Qualifies as “recycled material” in D.O.T. and project specifications.
- Density, compaction, size distribution and drainage properties are ideal for many structural fill applications.
- Amber Blast™ blasting abrasive offers advantages over other abrasives. Unlike other abrasives, it contains NO crystalline silica and has a 30 percent higher cutting rate due to sharp, angular grains.
- Chemical composition and vitreous texture possess latent cementitious properties, which can be used as an active mineral admixture in cement.